Professionalism and ethics have become key topics of modern medicine and dentistry. Medical professionalism is the belief system that formulates and upholds the values and standards of medical practice. Changing expectations from patients and doctors as well as the introduction of disruptive technologies such as genomics and genetics, robotic surgery and big data analytics prompt us to re-think how medical professionalism should be articulated and inculcated in the contemporary era. The establishment of the Professionalism and Ethics Committee by the Academy in March 2019 is a response to the challenges. The Professionalism and Ethics Committee is dedicated to:
- promote medical professionalism and ethical practice among Academy Fellows through education, training and advocacy;
- review and advise on the provision of specialty-specific training in medical ethics and professionalism by Academy Colleges;
- respond to requests by the Academy Council, the Education Committee and others as appropriate, and collaborates with relevant external organizations when necessary, on ethical issues related to the practice of specialty medicine and dentistry, public policy and other Academy matters; and
- identify, examine and bring forward issues of ethical importance deserving the attention of the Academy Council, its constituent Colleges or committees.
The Professionalism and Ethics Committee organises a series of seminars and workshops covering a wide range of topics to enhance professional standards with ethical values and practices. It is committed to formulating best practice guidelines. To facilitate this, 4 Task Forces have been formed under the Committee to specialise in the areas of:
- Advance Directives;
- Disclosure, Apology and Alternative Dispute Resolutions;
- Genetics and Genomics; and
- Social Media.
These high-quality practical and interactive training would have comprehensive lineup of professionals from various disciplines and policy makers, ranging from medical, academic, legal to social and psychological profession, to provide Fellows and specialist trainees with knowledge and support in different aspects concerned. These core values are also essential in medical education.
For highlights of various events or surveys conducted by the Committee, please refer and stay tuned to the latest news of the Academy.