Home > Fellows > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1.  What are the requirements for coming to Hong Kongto work as a specialist ?
A1.  Firstly, to obtain a Practising Certificate and have your name included in the General Register of the Medical Council of Hong Kong / Dental Council of Hong Kong, you would need to contact the  respective Council directly for details.    Here  are the links to their websites http://www.mchk.org.hk  / http://www.dchk.org.hk/tc/index.htm 

As for practising as a specialist in Hong  Kong, all medical practitioners who are already on the General Register could  apply for  inclusion in the Specialist Register via two routes -  they  could either  1) apply to the Hong Kong Academy of Medicine for certification, or 2) join the relevant Academy College and become an Academy  Fellow :-

1) According to the Medical Registration Ordinance (MRO) and Dentists Registration Ordinance (DRO), a registered medical practitioner or dentist who wishes to have his/her name included in the Specialist Register of Medical Council of Hong Kong (MCHK) or Dental Council of Hong Kong (DCHK) must be either a Fellow of the Academy, or certified by the Academy to have training and qualification comparable   [or equivalent in the case of an application under DRO] to that required of an Academy Fellow in the relevant specialty.  To apply to the   Academy for CSR (certification for specialist registration), please be advised of the following: 

The Academy's Education Committee will vet  each application and decide whether the qualifications and supervised training of the applicant are comparable (for medical practitioners) / equivalent (for dentists) to that required of an Academy Fellow in a particular specialty.  Once successful, the applicant will be recommended  to MCHK or DCHK for specialist registration. 

Please take note that the Education Committee needs to consult the appropriate specialty College and seek the Academy Council's formal endorsement before making a recommendation to MCHK or DCHK. The whole process may take 2 or more months.  Please click on the links below for the CSR Guidance Notes, Application Form and Fee Table.

2) To become a Fellow of the Academy, one must (a) have completed at least 6 years of supervised post-registration training in a manner approved by the Academy, (b) passed a relevant intermediate examination accredited by the Academy and (c) passed the exit examination or assessment conducted by the relevant College and accredited by the Academy.

Please note that the Academy Fellowship is by nomination only and one must be a full member of one of the 15 specialty Colleges first before he/she can be nominated.  You can contact the relevant College directly for details to become a Fellow.   For contact details of the Colleges, please visit the Academy website.   


Q2.  Does the HKAM offer Internship for overseas medical students in their final year of study?

A2. No, the HKAM is a postgraduate institution that looks after  specialist training in Hong Kong.

Q3. Can the Academy help medical students from overseas apply for training posts at hospitals in Hong Kong?

A3. No, the Academy is a statutory body mainly responsible for providing training and continuing medical education for specialists in Hong Kong.
The Hospital Authority is the organisation that provides training posts inHong Kong.  Please contact them for the information you require. Their website is http://www.ha.org.hk.

Information for